Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Paper Crane Library: Dorothy Day

Photo found here.
I have a few posts in the works right now, but they are not ready to be published. I will post them soon, but until then I want to highlight a post on Paper Crane Library about Dorothy Day. You can read about her on that post, but I want to note the influence Day's book Loaves and Fishes has had on me. I read it about a year ago, and I was inspired by the abundance of love and grace provided in her service along with the other people involved in the Catholic Worker Movement. I loved reading about the farm they had and the public protests against the nation's violence, but I was most humbled when she described the charity offered to those who wandered into the Catholic Worker building. She described how all were fed and taken care of regardless of the little amount of food and resources available. If an unexpected guest showed up looking for some food during dinner, everyone just ate a little bit less so that all were fed. I believe Loaves and Fishes will be one of those books I will read over and over again throughout my life, because it is an inspiring, beautiful portrayal of the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment