Pages

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Farm Week 2 Recap & Community Support in Nashvile

A combination of the Independence Day holiday, and rainy weather limited my time out in the fields this week, yet I feel like I worked as hard as the previous week. Monday consisted of pulling plastic covers off the field that had weeds grown into them so that the field can be prepared for the planting of new crops. The are many rows that span a long distance, which meant hours of pulling and collecting the covers. Once this task was completed the remainder of the time at the farm was spent pulling potatoes out of the ground. The rows of potatoes are plowed so that the soil is broken up which makes it easier to dig up the potatoes, but it still meant the entire day was spent bent over on the ground digging and collecting. I am continually convinced that neighborhoods need to invest in their own local methods of food production in order to simplify and sustainably scale the amount of work for and availability of healthy, organic food.

Despite the hard work at the farm, this week was busy with hosting friends from San Diego who came out to visit and research the possibility of moving out here. On top of showing them the great places to eat at and see in Nashville, they had set up meetings with some local businesses and organizations involved in the community and the growth of small business in Nashville. I was able to tag along for these meetings, and I met people invested in the community of Nashville. Being able to hear their stories, and the positive response from their communities excited me for future opportunities here in Nashville. I am now more inspired to fervently pursue an urban permaculture, and I am convinced that I will be backed by community support. I have discovered a multitude of organizations focused on providing healthy food to all people of Nashville, especially to those who might not be able to afford it, so I know there is a rich network that will help me succeed. I was excited to just spend time with some close friends, but now I am grateful to live here in Nashville, and I feel more energized to start pursuing my calling immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment