Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Greatest Job

During Thanksgiving week I had the wonderful opportunity to spend some time with my paternal grandparents listening to some of the incredible stories from their lives. I live about 200 miles away from my family, which isn't necessarily too far but far enough that visiting requires some planning, so time spent with my family throughout the year is limited. Recently my grandfather has been restrained from getting out of their home due to health concerns so my grandparents were delighted to have visitors, and I was just glad to hear about a life deserving of a movie (or at least a book).

Past visits have brought about remarkable stories that I love to hear over and over again, and this time I wanted to record some of those stories. Accompanied by my girlfriend, pug, parents, and one of my brothers we listened while my grandparents recounted some of these life events, and some of them were recorded thanks to smart phone technology (you won't often hear me admitting gratitude for smart phones, but I can sometimes admit the ease they can offer in certain situations). Of these stories I am particularly fascinated by my grandfather's brief history as a moonshine runner, which is sometimes overshadowed by the time he wrestled a black bear for a carnival as a means of travelling across the United States. Not only did he wrestle the black bear, but he also transported the bear in the cab of the truck he drove to each destination and gave that bear one bottle of soda a day.

Some people may question the veracity of stories like these, but knowing my grandpa and the rest of my family, I have no reason to doubt them. Especially when considering the humility of my grandfather. Near the end of our visit last week, my dad asked my grandpa which job he enjoyed the most. And my grandfather did not hesitate to answer, but the answer was not bootlegger, bear wrestler, Air Force pilot instructor, nor even the time he had a job rappelling cliffs to place dynamite in rock walls. His answer was his last job as a custodial worker at a school.

I was amazed and taken aback. I admire all his stories of adventurous and dangerous jobs, but he relishes the time spent maintaining the school property and developing relationships with the staff, faculty, and students at that school. And the love he put into that school is apparent in the awards and praise he received during his time there and when he left to move closer to family a few years ago. It's that kind of love and service that I believe the kingdom of God is built upon. Hopefully that humility will come with age and experience, because I often seek out those opportunities that contribute to an exciting, adventurous life but often these opportunities overshadow and distract me from seeking the real opportunities to love and serve others. I certainly do not suggest that the kingdom of God requires a dull life, but the wisdom of others often reveals that a life of service to others is a life well-lived. Ultimately, it's the healing and joy given to others that will matter. It is lessons like these that I am thankful for family and friends to love and to learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment