Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

A New Setting

My life has changed significantly since I last attended to this sadly neglected blog. I would have never guessed that I would be moving out of California when I wrote the last post in November, but here I am adjusting to the next phase of life in Nashville, TN. The move resulted from a somewhat spontaneous circumstance that began with research on home purchasing in San Diego. Home prices are out of our reach, and we were hoping to find a home with enough available land to transform in to a small-scale city farm. 

Out of curiosity, the home purchasing research pointed us towards other metropolitan cities with a lower of cost living, and Nashville (particularly east Nashville where we now live) seemed to offer the creative culture that we enjoyed in the North Park neighborhood of San Diego. Keegan happened to look on the Vanderbilt University job board, and her ideal job was the top listing. Considering that we are young, and that there are fewer logistical aspects involved with us moving, she went ahead and applied. Several weeks later, we received word that she was selected and that we would be moving to Nashville in about a month's time after that.

The current plan is to save up and purchase a home to cultivate in a few years while living in an apartment, but until then I have been pleasantly surprised at the large number of like-minded people and organizations located in Nashville that are dedicated to sustainable food production and food justice. There are numerous ways to get involved in these types of service, and we were able to volunteer on a Sunday afternoon to help an organization transform a family's home into a site of food production based on permaculture design.

In the mean time, I have found a job that provides a small income for me until I find a job that I'm truly passionate about. I am currently looking for jobs in sustainable food production, teaching, Christian education and publishing, or any of those related fields. Nashville appears to offer many opportunities to work in the fields of Christian publishing or food production, and I feel confident that I will find my way into working with both of my passions of teaching Christians about the rich history of our faith and working to feed people in a way that is healthy for all of God's creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment