Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Next Step Towards My Calling

My interests in growing food and promoting community have led me to take on work at a local organic farm. Yesterday was my first full day on the job, and I can attest to the hard work farming requires. The farm I work at fulfills about 900 CSA subscriptions, and also sells produce at various farmers's markets and to local grocery stores. This demand for local and organic food requires long hours, and many hands. I didn't realize the scale of this particular farm's production when I first inquired about the job, but I am grateful for the experience of growing food and the realistic look at farm life.

Many of the workers at the farm arrive at 6am and work until dark. Many of the hours are spent bent over picking produce in the sun, or packing hundreds of boxes with fruits and vegetables. I am amazed that many of these workers do these tasks for most of their lives. A lot of sweat is required to feed people local organic food, and I have a better understanding of why CSA boxes and farmers's market produce can cost more than the industrial farm produce sold at many grocery stores.

I know this job will provide crucial experience and insight to organic food production, but this type of farming is not the model I want to employ in the future. I wish to start an urban permaculture farm that will serve as a center of education about food health and social justice. This goal does not come from a desire to not work as hard. Any type of farming work or social work will not be physically or mentally easy. But for food production to be considered truly sustainable, it must be designed according to a scale that does not create waste nor deplete natural resources. I do not know how "waste" is managed at this farm I currently work at, but I have not noticed any evidence of permaculture principles being implemented.

While local organic food is important, and a far better option than industrial, chemical farming, I can't help but feel that it is not enough. Permaculture needs to infiltrate the various aspects of our lives, and it should influence the way we design our lives: from the way we design our homes to the way we organize community life. I am willing to go so far as to say that permaculture can guide us closer to living in a way that reflects the kingdom of God; especially if we bear in mind the three main permaculture principles (care of the earth, care of people, and share the surplus), and how these principles reflect the gospel message of salvation and redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment